From an email from Spencer Chandra Herbert:
Who is eligible for the B.C. Emergency Benefit for Workers?
- To be eligible for the B.C. Emergency Benefit for Workers you must:
- have a valid Social Insurance Number,
- be eligible for and approved to receive the Canada Emergency Response Benefit
- be a resident of B.C. on March 15, 2020
- have filed, or agree to file, a 2019 B.C. income tax return
- be at least 15 years old on the date you apply
- not be receiving provincial Income Assistance or Disability Assistance
- The Province will provide everyone receiving income or disability assistance who is not receiving EI or the CERB will automatically receive a $300 COVID-19 Crisis Supplement on their cheques for the next three months, starting in April. This includes people receiving a Comforts Allowance or the B.C. Senior’s Supplement.
- This includes people who have run out of employment insurance (EI) benefits and are eligible for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit.
- This includes people who are self-employed and had to close their business or reduce their hours and are eligible for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit.
- If eligible, payments will start to go out within days of approval.
You can apply for this benefit online today, or by phone starting Monday, May 4th.
The benefit is a one-time only tax free payment of $1000.